Friday, May 28, 2010

Happy Birthday, Connor

My sweet boy is 6 years old! Although I've said it a dozen times, I still can't quite grasp the fact. This year has been such a time of growth for him. I can see the beginnings of a little man. He continues to be such a passionate, tender-hearted soul with an overly-energetic spirit and a contagious smile. He is very curious and has such an innocent, inquisitive mind. I always enjoy the conversations we have and the many teachable moments we encounter. The time we spend lying together in his bed right before bedtime is my favorite. It's a time of sweet and quiet conversation that I look forward to and treasure.

Connor had been hinting that he wanted a Star Wars themed birthday party but I think I was in denial and confident that I could talk him into something more "my" style - something more "party-like" that didn't scream "B-O-Y!" Then I finally came to my senses and remembered that this was his birthday, and his party and that I just needed to go with it. From that moment I spent a lot of time reading blogs and thinking about how to make this party a hit for Connor. Throughout the process Matt and I also decided that this would be a drop-off party...a first for us. We allowed Connor to invite six of his classmates and then some additional close kindergarten friends, so we were going to have a lot of energy to contain/direct! I decided to develop a Jedi Training party in which the children would have to participate in four trials in order to complete the Training. I think the most difficult and time consuming part of the planning was the invitation. Once I came up with the idea of a video invitation, I was determined to see it to completion. Had I known how difficult it was going to be, I would've come up with an alternate plan. I was super-excited with the outcome...

I made jedi robes for all of the kids (brown for the boys and white for the girls) which they received and put on as soon as they arrived and lightsabers out of pool noodles and duct tape (which were kept secret until the time came to use them).


The four trials consisted of:

Rescue the Princess (popping balloons and looking to see if a princess is inside)
Storm Trooper Blast (shooting Nerf darts at, and tring to knock over, storm troopers on cups)
Use the Force (blindfolded and trying to hit a ball with a lightsaber)

Lightsaber Duel (dueling with lightsabers on a balance beam)

And then they enjoyed cupcakes (arranged to look like a lightsaber)

I think we wore them out!

Hopefully a good time was had by all participants. I know Matt and I had a blast - more so than I ever thought I would. I kinda' like the drop-off concept!
Happy Birthday, sweet boy!



























2 comments:

The Browns said...

AWESOME PARTY!!! Simon's still talking about it!!

Monica said...

What a wonderful party Jenn, you are so creative!! 6 yrs old, where does the time go? Can't wait to see you!