We attended Glen Allen Elementary's Kindergarten Orientation on Friday. Matt took the morning off and went with Connor and I for our first official visit to his classroom. All kindergarten students and parents were ushered into the gymnasium. Students and parents sat in assigned teacher sections - students on mats on the floor and parents in rows of chairs behind them. The gym was packed. As we glanced around, we noticed some familiar faces and Connor reunited with some pre-school friends (one of whom is in his class).
The principal identified herself and greeted everyone. She proceeded to ask the children if they knew what a principal was. Guess who raised his hand? And guess who she called on? Yep, our sweet boy was already making a name for himself. He informed everyone that a principal is "someone who keeps us safe and we go to your office if we're bad. And you call the police." Dr. Fawcett acknowledged the first part and snickered at the latter - as did everyone else in the gym. Matt and I turned tomato red and slid slightly lower in our seats. But he didn't stop there...Connor continued "My dad's a Principal" as he pointed directly at Matt. Can you imagine!? I didn't even look at Matt because I knew he wanted to crawl under his chair. So then...
Each teacher was dismissed, with her class, while the parents were given some pertinent information. Then we were able to leave and join our children in the classrooms. When we got there, the kids were walking around trying to find their desks (labeled with their names). Connor immediately found his...up front! Just where he needs to be! Directions on the chalkboard informed us where to put each of the school supplies we had brought with us. It was slightly chaotic and cramped, so I quickly got things organized and we hustled out of there.
Of course, we couldn't leave without stopping into the library. He has become friends with Fluffy, the guinea pig, who lives in the library. We met him when we went for Connor's screening.
Wow! It's really happening. My baby is going to school. I'm off to read through and sign the stack of papers that were sent home with us!
2 comments:
why did i read this?! tears are filling my eye lids. i'm simply dreading tomorrow morning jenn. i have knots i my stomach every time i think of him being gone all day. ben has no idea though! ;)
oh my goodness - I can't believe it's here too. Have been praying all morning for Connor and our other little friends starting their first day of school today. I know he'll do great - and I hope you do too!
PS - Note to self...do not get in trouble at Matt's school!
Post a Comment