Tuesday, July 7, 2009

3 Things I Love About Long Island

Home again, home again jiggity jog...

We woke up yesterday morning to beautiful blue, cloudless skies, abundant sunshine, and no humidity. It certainly wasn't difficult to talk Matt out of driving home and spending the day at the beach instead. Yes, we spent the day sunning, swimming, and relaxing at the beach instead of driving home. Kris and Melissa (and baby Julianna) and Clint and Georgette all joined us for our last day of vacation doing what we enjoy most...beachin' it!

We left LI around 6:15 last night and drove all the way home. Tired and lagging we pulled in around 1 o'clock this morning. Our first day home was them perfect time to reflect on all that I love about Long Island.

1. Family

Since Matt is one of the few Terry's to move off of Long Island, anytime we go back we always treasure the time we get to spend with family. This time was no different. On Sunday, Matt's aunt and uncle, who have a beautiful home on the water, hosted the entire Fredricks family for their annual 4th of July party. It's always nice to catch up with everyone and I enjoy seeing how the children have grown (in number and size) since the previous year. This year, of course, there was a new Terry that joined us.

I can't forget to mention my in-laws. I am fortunate to have married into such a loving and generous family. Any time we go to Long Island, we feel like we are on vacation. We are spoiled. They wake up with our children in the morning as we continue to sleep (Connor even sleeps in their bedroom), they entertain them, and they're always coming up with funny things to say and do together with C&C. We are all very well taken care of.

2. The Beach

Matt grew up about a mile from the beach, and his parents still live there so anytime we go home in the summer, the beach is always a popular, and expected, outing. This trip we enjoyed two full days in the sand and sun. Even though the water was a bit chilly, the guys and kids took their normal swim. I miss it already!

3. Julianna

Yes, she's part of our family but she deserves her own spot. Since I don't have any siblings and Matt only has one brother, the possibilities for neices and nephews are limited. Everyone knows that I am a Baby Mama and every chance I can get to hold a baby, I take it. K and M are very patient and understanding with me and allow me to scoop her up and "hog" her while I'm visiting. Even my mother-in-law has reluctantly passed her over when I flash my puppy dog eyes from across the room. Anyway, this little girl is a gem. She is just now starting to interact a bit and coos, laughs, and smiles when provoked. I can't wait to see her again. She is absolutely beautiful and always pleasant. See for yourself...





3 comments:

The Browns said...

Looks absolutely fabulous!! Matt was right - LI is nothing like I envisioned!

And that Juliana - she's beautiful!!

Welcome home.

rboyz said...

Glad to see you guys, I love that you come up for the annual 4th party every year.
Each year, there are more and more kids (and less of mine, LOL). Someone made the comment that when Aunt T. & Uncle J. started having the parties, my kids were probably the only ones...now there are so many kids, hard to keep track!!

Unknown said...

We love to pass her to you. She is always so happy when she is with Aunt Jenn!