Monday, October 26, 2009

Blog worthy post.

I barely made it home on time, but was here to relieve Jenn for her MOPS meeting tonight. Mondays can be tough, but they occasionally can be even harder knowing that the only break is is the commute home. Nevertheless, all parents know that somehow, someway, there is a reserve tank in us all and we use it when we know others depend on us. Mine instantly got full when I arrived home. I was greeted by a proud son,...you could see it in his face. His first day back to school after being out for over a week and we did not know what to expect. He ran to his schoolbag and pulled out his smiley face/behavior chart.......11 out of 12 smiles! What a great feeling to be able to give out huge hugs and tell your child how proud you are of them. Great job Connor.

Later in the night, it was bath time. As I got Carly ready for bed, combed and dried her hair and got some PJ's on her, I kept hearing the water in the kid's bathroom. I continued to encourage Connor from the other room to do the same and get ready for bed. He was too quiet and I was getting a little nervous. As I entered the bathroom to check on him, I saw a dripping wet floor, a dripping wet mirror, puddles on the sink, toilet paper pieces and wet rugs. I should have taken a deep breath and asked questions, but I reacted first. Connor stood up at me and didn't argue or debate with me. He patiently waited to speak as I lectured him on listening and following directions. As I began washing him off again (because he was wiping the floor around the toilet with toilet paper), he began to cry. He then told me he thought he was helping Mommy and that he thought it would make her happy if he cleaned the bathroom for her. I suddenly realized my mistake. The water on the floor, the wet mirror, the toilet paper pieces and the puddles all took on a new meaning and I embraced my little man. Yet another proud moment that filled my tank up once again. I promised him that I would tell Mommy about his hard work and good deed, so this blog had to take priority over work.

Okay, we're finally getting into bed after that and there was one more moment that was worth sharing. Connor and Carly were saying goodnight to each other and he accepted a hug from his sister,......but no kisses. She hung her head low in disappointment and Connor tried to explain he just didn't want kisses. I seized the moment and gave her some of my kisses instead. A few moments later, he called her back and said, "OK Carly, I'll give you kisses". He added, "I love you Carly" and then turned to me and said, "Daddy, when I get older I'm going to marry Carly". Before I could respond Carly turns to him and cheerfully answers, "Oh, Thank You Connor"! As if that wasn't enough, Carly then comes over and tells me she wants to marry me. Adorable! Connor, hearing this, paused for a short time and then asked me if people can marry two people. I told him no, but he still shared aloud that his goal was to marry his Mommy and Carly when he gets older. ....If he keeps up this good behavior and great attitude over the years, I'm sure he'll have no trouble finding a suitable replacement outside the family. = )

My tank is full now. Good night all!

1 comment:

The Browns said...

LOVE!!!

Definitely blog worthy. Thank you!