Saturday, March 28, 2009

Profound Impact

This morning as I drove into our church parking lot, I was amazed to see an enormous crowd of men, women, and children of all ages and backgrounds gathering at the edge of the parking lot. I was immediately overwhelmed with emotion and tears began to stroll down my face. You see, what they were waiting for was to be let into the Free "Sale". Members of our church donated items (not junk either...nice quality items) that were going to be given away for free to those in need. The entire church parking lot was lined with tables overflowing, with clothes, household items, furniture, tv's, microwaves, lamps, etc... As I walked across the parking lot, drying my tears, I couldn't help but feel so grateful that I had been given the opportunity to witness such a profound event. I was so touched by the outpouring of support and donations that had been given.

The Pastor gave the green light and the area was soon flooded with people scooping up items for their homes and families. As I was standing next to a leather chair that one woman asked me to hold for her, she whispered "This is such a blessing to me. I don't have a couch or chair in my house to sit on." Stories like that are numerous so I will not share them all. But I will end the post with the most touching story of the morning...

A man, obviously out on parole, had collected a number of things for himself. When he was finished and about to leave, he approached a Pastor and asked where he could make a contribution. When the Pastor responded, he explained to the man that no contributions were being accepted. The motive behind the event was to give back to those in need in our community. The man insisted on leaving a contribution so handed the Pastor a check, pre-filled out by the Parole Board, for $0.11.

I need another tissue to try my tearing eyes...what an incredible, powerful day. One that I will continually replay in my mind. Absolutely amazing.

P.S. The Washington Post was there shooting and interviewing so be on the lookout sometime in the near future. I'm sure his story will do this more justice.

1 comment:

The Browns said...

I'm so glad you got to go and got to witness these stories. Thank you for sharing. Miss you!