Monday, March 16, 2009

Those Silly Leprechauns

After a bit of inspiration by the most clever and creative mom I know, I decided to play "Leprechaun" and do some silly things around the house after C&C went to bed tonight. Matt had a meeting late this evening so I was on my own (and he had no idea of my intentions to be so silly). I put the kids to bed, waited a bit until I thought they were asleep and then got to work tipping over chairs, rearranging furniture, decorative items, and toys, and adding green food coloring into the toilet bowls so the water would be green in the morning. As I stood back to admire my work, I noticed that the food coloring had stained my fingers...ugh! I used soap and scrubbed, and scrubbed, and scrubbed. The color slightly faded, but is still visible. My identity is going to be given away! My thoughts were interrupted by the telephone. While chatting with a friend, who appears in the living room...CONNOR! I almost threw up! He glanced around the kitchen at the misplaced chairs, then in the living room he saw the pillows stacked, ottoman tipped over, and decorative items rearranged. He was clearly confused, but excited at the same time announcing, "Mommy, the Leprechauns have come to our house already!" (I'm still on the phone) Of course I played along, "WOW...they came early. They must have come while I was upstairs checking on you. Those silly leprechauns!" Meanwhile, my friend on the other line was totally confused so I had to explain in "hieroglyphic" terms what was happening in our crazy house. Connor continues walking around investigating, and putting things back where they belong. But he was clearly searching for something while doing so. For what I asked..."Gold" he said very seriously. Meanwhile this whole time I was trying to hide my green stained fingers from Connor. I tried numerous times to convince Connor to go back upstairs. He finally did, but only after emptying an entire box of raisins on the coffee table. A snack for the leprechauns...they might be hungry if they come back ya' know!

Lesson learned...make sure the kids are asleep before attempting this crazy ritual again!

Did those silly leprechauns come to your house?

2 comments:

Skamamama said...

how cute jenn! even after reading this...(it was very late last night), similar things happened. ben got up and went to the bathroom and i was like "ahem no ben using mommy's bathroom" as i had already tinted the water green. some how he missed the other stuff. probably b/c he only had 1 eye opened! so glad ya'll had fun.

The Browns said...

LOVE this idea!! So cute! Simon came home telling me about some of his friends that had leprechauns visit. love it!