Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Every moment is a blessing...

Snow, snow, snow, and more on the way. Many of you are ready for Spring to arrive and I know that will be great too, but I, for one, am thankful for this snow.

As I sit and glance out the front windows of our home at the winter wonderland and ponder how much work will pile up from these days off due to inclement weather I can smile and know that every moment I get with family is a blessing. Furthermore, every chance I get I will attempt to make these moments count. Time moves so fast lately and seems to hurry along even more rapidly with age. Nevertheless, I have thoroughly enjoyed so many memories made over the last few days and realize it is so easy to take them for granted and move along in the fast lane. Today was another day off from work and I was able to wake Connor up and see him off to school. Getting dressed, brushing teeth, eating breakfast, walking to the bus stop, and watching him wave from the bus window as they drive off.........all things Jenn sees daily and many of you might too. Yet, for me, a treasure to experience once in a while. Jenn, sadly, had to work so she left soon after. Carly also had school today and was picked up by Sally. Kisses, hugs and waves all around from her too. So cute andf something I usually miss out on! So, all alone, I decided to try a workout at the gym,......awesome! I remembered quickly how much I love to have some time to focus on fitness and only wish I could fit it in a typical work day. Connor's lunch at school began at 10:55am. PERFECT for me to make it there. You should have seen his face when I walked in the cafeteria door,...he never expected that! Every day I watch middle school lunch waves and see the students interact with one another, yet I have never seen my own son sit with his peers for lunch. It was enlightening and a very rewarding experience. He immediately searched around for a chair to accomodate me and occasionally placed his head on my shoulder, which is more than I expected with his friends around. I watched and listened as he talked with his friends and it actually took me awhile to be accepted into the social group at his table. I did not pressure him to talk with me nor did I expect to be the center of attention. My purpose for the visit was to be more aware of his daily routine to stimulate dinner conversations later. (It is amazing to me what you can get from a small child with the right questions and how you can shut them down in an instant with the wrong comment or facial expression). Yet, I was impressed to find that Connor actually wanted me to share in his stories, interactions and comments in his social group. It was a bond I hope he and I share even through his teenage years, which I expect to be a challenge. As lunch came to a close and I left the building I could not help but feel emotional about several profound moments in just a short time and I would love to share them all, but I will only share one for now.

A woman in the cafeteria who I later learned Connor calls Granny, commented to me twice about him. "He never has trouble eating his food and is always well behaved", was her first comment and I smiled and thanked her. Yet, she made a special effort to approach me once again as I was about to exit the room and with a sincere look in her eye she continued, "I don't mean to single anyone out, but I must tell you that he is one of my favorites in here". I was speechless. I wanted to be sarcastic, I wanted to be doubtful and I had lots of questions, but I held my tongue. I touched her gently on the shoulder, asked her name, and told her that was such a kind comment for her to share with me. I was so proud and felt so comforted inside that Connor has such wonderful support. She is part angel I think and she has given me more of the right questions to ask at dinner.

I headed home and missed Connor already, but knew that in a short time Carly would be home and I had her all to myself. I was ready to prepare any lunch I could for her, within reason of course, but she wanted no food. Her personal request,......."please sit with me and watch Beauty and the Beast". A Disney movie and quality time with my daughter,.......SWEET! It's funny, even something as simple as watching a movie with her can open doors to her thought process and ideas. We talked about love, life, fairness, intelligence, friendship and other topics, but not using those words. We conversed in a way that a toddler may express them and she attentively listened to my answers and ideas with an open mind. It was refreshing. Lunch followed and we sat together continuing our talks and laughter. Just the two of us. Then, it was game time. NO TV, no Wii, no coloring, ..interactive games. It was only then that I realized the amount of knowledge Carly has been developing. She knew numbers, colors, letters, and shapes, she memorized things in a game of concentration and she even helped Daddy a little bit when I struggled to remember where some things were (to make a match). She was proud and I made every effort to stroke her ego because she deserved it. The result,......a big hug with two comments, "You're my best Daddy" and "Can you marry me?" Can I say Yes?

Well, we then had to get Connor off the bus from school. Another job I rarely get to do and it was nice to be able to be the first one to ask how his day was. Success! His behavior chart read 12/12 smiley faces for the day today. A perfect day!

......yes, a perfect day indeed! Thank you snow.

1 comment:

The Browns said...

A perfect day - and a FANTASTIC dad! What a gift you are to your family. I love your perspective and I love that you take the time to write it down! Much love to all the Terrys!