It had to have been the hottest day of the summer.
Matt's parents, brother and sister-in-law, and my mother were all here. It was moving day!
Since the previous owner of this house had already moved out, she allowed us to begin moving boxes into the garage prior to closing. As a result, most of the boxes had already been moved and were being stored in the garage. We rented the truck the morning of closing. The guys began loading the furniture into the truck. We had hired two men to assist with the loading and unloading of the furniture (which was probably the best decision we made!). Boy did they earn their money! They managed to finish in two hours, and spent the next two hours unloading it all into the new house.
Back here, Georgette (Matt's mother) was in charge of keeping Connor and Carly occupied. They were having a very difficult time that day, as I'm sure they were confused and unsettled. Melissa and I painted Connor's room, and then she and my mom painted Carly's. At last...pink and blue paint!
Did I mention it was VERY hot? Our old neighbors, and my realtor, were so sweet and thoughtful. They dropped off a cooler filled with ice cold gatorade and water for everyone.
My mother took the kids to her house for their nap and prepared dinner for us, which she delivered and served to us. What a mom!
We all worked into the evening...Melissa dusted and scrubbed almost every nook and cranny in the house, Kris scrubbed the front porch (oh, yes...this was a HUGE task because it was covered in spider webs, dead bugs, etc...), Georgette cleaned the refrigerator and began emptying boxes. Looking back...what did I do? I guess I supervised...hmmm?
Connor and Carly went back to my mom's to spend the night. We were able to move the furniture in the living room just enough to fit an airbed in the midst of the livingroom for Clint and Georgette to sleep on. We borrowed the cushion/mattress from my mom's futon and Kris and Melissa slept on that in the dining room. Matt and I were able to sleep in our own bed. I can't even begin to tell you the excitement I felt as I laid my head on my pillow that night. Our first house. I love it even more now, than I did that day. I thank my lucky stars for finding this house, and my husband for setting aside his hesitations and going for it!
Many thanks to our family for being here and for all the work you did to help make this house "ours".
No comments:
Post a Comment