Thursday, August 7, 2008

Grandma Kline


My maternal grandmother passed away peacefully on Saturday evening. She lived a long 91 years and spent the past several years suffering with Alzheimer's Disease. During this time, she lived with my aunt and uncle at their home in Hornell, New York. Although we didn't get to see her very often, it was evident each time that her condition was deteriorating. Sometimes she recognized me, sometimes she didn't, but she almost always asked about Matt.

My mom and I last saw her at the end of May while we were up in New York for a friend's bridal shower. Grandma looked great; her hair was nicely styled and she was good company. As we conversed, she added her own comments (sometimes relevant, and sometimes not - but funny) and seemed more aware than she had been in the past.

I am so grateful that God gave me that time with her, because I have such a positive, uplifting memory of her to hold on to.

The most vivid memories I have of Grandma Kline involve the times I would stay with her at her home in Hornell. She would always have root beer in the refrigerator for me, and I would always bring my makeup (which my mother wouldn't let me wear at home).

2 comments:

The Browns said...

So sorry to hear about your Grandma Kline, but what a gift that you got to have that time with her. I hope you can hold on to your happy memories - and what a special thing that she clearly loved your Matt.

Diana

Jenn said...

Thank you Diana. She will be deeply missed, but I know is in a much better place...where she wanted so badly to be.