Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Birthday Week, Day 2

Yesterday (Monday), Matt had off from school because of the President's Day holiday and, since the children were with my mom overnight, we were able to sleep in! We took full advantage of that and enjoyed the low stress of having a quiet, lazy morning at home. The plan was to pick the kids up at my mom's around 10:00 and head over to Pottery Barn Kids to see the Cat in the Hat. She called around 9:00 she mentioned that they were all doing great and relaxing and offered to keep them until after lunch if we didn't have our hearts set on going to see the Cat in the Hat. Of course, we accepted! What to do with our newly free morning/afternoon??? We lounged around and paid bills, ate breakfast (slowly), and chatted. I ran out to do some shopping and when I came home, I got a call from my mother. She had gotten a phone call from the family who's home I stayed in for 6 weeks while I taught in England during college. (some background...we stayed in touch and visited each other on several occasions after college. Diane had suffered with cancer, had the cancer removed, and inevitably it would come back. A couple of years ago, we lost touch. We didn't hear from them on Christmas and my birthday like we traditionally had. They stopped e-mailing. Nothing. On several occasions I had thought about calling, but I was too afraid that I would learn that something had happened to Diane. I just couldn't handle that call. So I did nothing...just always wondered, in the back of my mind, what they were up to. Recently, my mom tried to contact them. Their phone number was disconnected, phone number unlisted. Fearful for the worst, she decided to write to them asking them to please get in touch with us. Thus the phone call.) Diane was okay and as chipper as could be. They talked for quite a while and then Diane called me but had to leave a message. So after my mom relayed the good news to me, I got right on the phone and called them back. It was so wonderful to catch up and be in touch. Right now, she is healthy and the family is all doing well...all grown up, but well. I was elated!

After that high, I randomly decided it was time to do something about the office closet. It is jam-packed with gifts, Christmas/gift wrapping supplies, MOPS materials, pictures, crafts waiting to happen, etc...I would never open it in front of anyone for fear that something might fall out. Seriously I am a fairly organized person, but this closet has just been taken advantage of since we moved in two years ago and it has been a thorn in my side. Today was the day. I pulled it all out and attempted to sort everything into piles (gifts, wrapping supplies, etc...) That's about as far as I got (and the office still looks that way). Check out the mess I have to maneuver through in order to get to the computer...
Anyway, the rest of the afternoon was fairly normal...naptime, dinner, bedtime.

1 comment:

The Browns said...

The timing of this is too perfect. Thank you for this post. I need it!