I have much to be thankful for, but this week it is simple. Two words. My mother.
Read this story below, written by her (sent to my mother-in-law, and she doesn't know I'm posting it!)
Tues. a.m. we awoke to a covering of wet snow - the kind that makes great snowballs and snowmen. My first thought was what a great day to make a snowman with Connor and Carly after their naps. Unfortunately, when Carly arrived, so did the sun, and the snow quickly began to melt. She and I went outside to the shady side of the hill, and made a few snowballs and threw them.
And since snowballs remind us of snowmen, I thought it would be fun to make a mini snowman with what little snow we could find, since we may never have the opportunity again this winter. Carly and I made a couple small balls for our snowman's body, found some twigs and pieces of wood for the eyes and arms. He was so cute that I was disappointed that Connor had to miss it since he was still in PreSchool. So, I brought the snowman to the patio and left him in a shady spot, out of the sun, hoping he would last until Connor could see him. He obliged, and as soon as Connor saw him, he ran to the refrigerator to get a carrot for his nose.
He then got his hat and put it on the snowman's head. 
After the photo session, I went into the kitchen to make lunch. Connor remained outside talking to the snowman. A few minutes later, I looked up, and Connor was crossing the threshold, dripping snowman in hand, despairing that we had to keep him cold as he was melting - all over the rug at the moment. I quickly got a plastic dish to put Mr. Snowman in, and Connor thought we should put him in the freezer to keep him cold. Which we did of course - until Mommy arrived. Connor proudly showed off his snowman in my freezer, and then asked Mommy if she had a freezer. An affirmative response was all he needed. We promptly transferred Mr. Snowman into an insulated bag, under Connor's care and protection until he reached home, and he is now residing in Mommy's freezer.
After the photo session, I went into the kitchen to make lunch. Connor remained outside talking to the snowman. A few minutes later, I looked up, and Connor was crossing the threshold, dripping snowman in hand, despairing that we had to keep him cold as he was melting - all over the rug at the moment. I quickly got a plastic dish to put Mr. Snowman in, and Connor thought we should put him in the freezer to keep him cold. Which we did of course - until Mommy arrived. Connor proudly showed off his snowman in my freezer, and then asked Mommy if she had a freezer. An affirmative response was all he needed. We promptly transferred Mr. Snowman into an insulated bag, under Connor's care and protection until he reached home, and he is now residing in Mommy's freezer.
My mother never ceases to amaze me. She is always coming up with fun filled activities for Connor and Carly to do while they are with her. She actually plans activities in advance. As a former teacher, she definitely utilizes the teachable moments and lets them guide their day often times, based on whatever their interest of the day is. If they see a bird out the window, she will pull out a bird identification book and let Connor try to find the bird in the book. Then the next day, they will make pinecone birdfeeders with peanut butter and birdseed. After I mentioned that I wanted to begin potty training Carly, she took the initiative at her house and stuck with it. She devoted the time and energy to it. And we all know how much time and energy that takes!) She is so patient with them - how come I never got an ounce of that??? - I am so so so thankful that she is such an important figure in the lives of my children. I am truly blessed. I love you mom.
1 comment:
This made me smile all over!
Your mom sounds wonderful! I can't wait to hear more about her. I love how much you love her and love how much she loves your kids. Reminds me of a certain momma I know (and love!).
Post a Comment