The Third Grade Girls spent some time together in Cape Charles this weekend. I first met this group of very special women in 2001. We all taught third grade together at Mechanicsville Elementary School. It was my third year in third grade, Nancy's second, and Becky, Donna, and Sally were new to the grade level. It was their first year of teaching...they didn't know what they were getting into! We all bonded very quickly and our relationship together evolved into a beautiful friendship. Although only one of us is still teaching, our friendship continues to grow and we try to get together, at least for dinner, once a month. We have been through weddings, babies, babies, and more babies, and most recently, retirement.
Nancy and her husband have a beautiful home in Cape Charles, and the rest of us decided it would be fun to get together there for a weekend. We left our families behind Friday evening and headed for the Eastern Shore. We had a wonderful time chatting and laughing all the way there. We met Nancy and Butch at Stingray's, just outside of Cape Charles. We were told it is often referred to as Chez Exxon, because it is a barn attached to an Exxon Gas Station, and is a favorite among the locals. Boy were they right! Many of us had the broiled crabcakes along with some homecooked sides like macaroni and cheese, garlic mashed potatoes and green beans. The food was unbelievable. I can still taste those crabcakes...the best I've ever had.
After settling in at the house, we sat around Nancy's livingroom (with strawberry daquiries and peanut butter balls) and talked for hours. We finally retired to bed around 12:30am.
The next day, we awoke to the scent of breakfast that Butch was preparing for us...eggs, hash browns, bacon, cantaloupe, homemade biscuits...mmmmm! During breakfast we planned our day. The church was having an auction, so we started there. While we were browsing around (there was furniture, holiday decorations, dishes, paintings, you name it...they had something for everyone), the auctioneer began the bidding. When we witnessed a large piece of furniture sell for $2, we got excited and decided we ought to bid on something. Some of us found some items of interest. Butch was going to stay at the auction and bid on our behalf, while we tried to find some yard sales. So we had to tell him the item of interest and the amount we were willing to pay. The poor man had to memorize all of this. Sally and I are the yard salers, so we found lots of good bargains at the few yard sales we stopped at. We got Christmas decorations, clothes, a wireless router (for my mom), and so much more. They we headed up the road to Tracinda's Country Treasures. Nancy knew about this shop, which a woman opened in her parents' home, and thought I'd enjoy it. As we drove up to the small ranch, quite a ways into the country, we all questioned it. The moment we walked in, our mouths dropped to the floor. It had my name written all over it! It was a house FULL of country home furnishings and decorations. I could've spent all day, and lots of money, in there! We all had a great time, and each found something to take home. Check it out...http://www.tracindascountrytreasures.com/ For lunch, we drove into the historic waterfront community of Onancock, which was coincidentally hosting it's Harbor Fest that day, and had a delicious lunch at Bizzotto's Gallery and Cafe. After lunch, we headed back to Cape Charles.
Butch was waiting for us on the steps when we pulled up. He shared the auction happenings and purchases. Sally, Nancy, and I each won at least one thing we wanted! I came home with a tall metal bucket, which I have since filled with branches of fall colored berries. It looks beautiful next to the fireplace. Thanks, Butch, for that $2 bargain! We spent some time chatting some more, and ate some of Nancy's delicious chicken salad, before packing up and getting ready to head back to our families in Richmond. Becky took on the role as "packer" and attempted to arrange all of our purchases into the trunk. We wondered whether we'd be able to fit it all...along with us and our luggage. Becky and Donna had to sit on either side of the cooler with bags surrounding their legs and I had no room for my feet to rest on the floor, but we made it - bargains and all!
I am so grateful that this special group of ladies came into my life. I have learned so much from each of them and truly cherish all of the memories we've made.
Love you, drive safe, GO HUSKERS!
The "shack"
Butch cooking breakfast for us
Breakfast
Tracinda's
The trunk
The Third Grade Girls
1 comment:
Sounds WONDERFUL!
So sorry we didn't get to catch up more on Monday. I had such a great time, but my biggest - and only - complaint is that there's never enough time!
Thank goodness for catching up through blogs!
Post a Comment