Thursday, October 2, 2008

Oh, does it have to be bed time already?

Mommy's down South, Connor's up North. It's Daddy-Daughter time! Although the evening flew by, it was memorable to be able to do nothing more than spend time creating dialogue and learning from the mind of a two year old girl. I often expected Carly to be the social butterfly of the family and was slightly concerned and/or curious when she assumed a passive role in the family in these early years (that is, besides the temper tantrums). However, it is more clear tonight that she was simply adapting to being the second born child and has developed an incredible sense of perception and skillful observation. As I picked her up from Nonnie's house through bedtime, we talked, played, sang, ate, learned and laughed with each other. On our way home, I decided that I would rather go home than get a haircut, which I spoke very briefly about in her presence when I got her for the evening. On the way home, we talked and I began to tell her we were going home to spend time together. She was quiet for a moment and gazed out the window. Then, she turned to the front and we made eye contact through the rear view mirror. "AWWWW, Daddy, you can get your haircut, it's OK", she said. I told her that I could get it another time and she insisted, "No Daddy, I watch you get your haircut and I can get a sucker, OK?" Naturally, I gave in and we went. During the haircut, she walked around and I asked her to please come back so I could see her. When she returned she rubbed my knee and said, "It's OK Daddy, I'm here. You're OK." Even the hairdresser stopped cutting to make a comment and compliment her empathetic comment. It didn't stop there. Carly approached again as I was getting up from the chair and said, "Oh, you look so nice......nice haircut". Any parent would have felt the warm, fuzzy feeling I did after that. So, we went to find the dinner of her choice at Ukrops. This was not easy and she was more fascinated with the pumpkins and displays, but gained the attention of many as she wandered around the store and I followed her like a puppy (trying to keep up). We finally agreed on a healthy meal that would satisfy us both. I chose a table in a corner and turned my back to everyone to only face Carly. I let her guide the discussion and she talked freely about her day with occasional waves to strangers and sporadic dances in her chair. At one time, she asked about mommy and wanted to know if she was home. I explained she was away and she turned to the beverage shelves at a distance away and pointed to a row of Mountain Dew bottles, "Mommy's drink,........dat is mommy's drink over there". I laughed, ...she was right. Several older spectators in the room approached us and shared their admiration of Carly's innocent smile/laugh and our daddy/daughter relationship that they apparently had been making judgments on through the meal. I had no idea, as I turned my back on everyone but Carly. She behaved so well that we walked to the ice cream section and picked a "treat" for us to enjoy together at home. Actually, Carly grabbed my hand and began to run instead. When we arrived home and put it in a dish, we laughed so hard and had so much fun talking that she did not even eat half of it. Instead, she asked to go upstairs for a nap and wanted me to lay with her and sing some songs. She did not move a muscle the entire time I sang to her and was an angel. She asked, "Daddy, can you sleep in my bed?" When my reply was no she persisted and whispered, "Daddy, can I sleep in your bed?" I almost gave in. Does it have to be bed time already? It was a good night and I didn't want her to go to bed so soon. Sweet Dreams Carly! Love, Daddy

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Oh, what a sweet tribute to our sweet daughter who is so often seen following and mimicking her older brother. I am so grateful that you recognize, and took advantage, of this special time to have fun together. If only she were older, this would've certainly been an evening she would remember for a long time. You are such a loving and doting father. What a lucky little girl! Thank you, honey!

Skamamama said...

we love those 1 on 1 times with our boys. what a special time with sweet carly!

Jaclyn said...

What a sweet spirit. Wow.